Sandy Burr Country Club was established in 1922 and designed by the renowned golf course architect Donald Ross. This Middlesex County bent grass course lies on land that is rolling and inviting to play, with aged trees along the fairways and good sized greens. Giving the course an almost English countryside feel is the large and well-constructed Tudor clubhouse, which can seat 250 guests.
The great early American golfer, Francis Ouimet, Walter Hagen and Gene Sarazen were frequent players here. The 1935 Massachusetts Open was played at Sandy Burr. As the aerial photograph attests, the well-maintained, wide open fairways are lined with mature trees.
The modern courses rarely ascribe special names to the holes, but many of the older courses manage to entertain the golfer with quaint names. The holes at New Sandy Burr were known as: Down and Out, River Bound, Air Line, The Saucer, Spoon Carry, Trap Hill, Triangle, Old Elbow, Round Top, The Scoop, Rocking Chair, Sudbury Shore, Trouble Inlet, Lone Tree, Apple Hollow, The Narrows, String Bean and Hillside—almost descriptive enough to replace photos.